Ronda Rousey got the internet all hot and bothered last week when she made some pretty bold statements about the use of lube during sex in article for Maxim.
You should never need lube in your life. If you need lube, then you’re being lazy…and you’re not taking your time.
I feel a little sympathy for Ronda because I think I know what she was trying to say, which is that lube in a tube is never a substitute for foreplay. Foreplay is fun and necessary and we all should be having lots of it. However, there are many other reasons why a woman might need and want to use a supplementary lubricant – even women like Ronda who seems to think lubricating is her super power.
So, without further ado, I give you…
The Top 10 Reasons Ronda Rousey (and pretty much any woman) might want a lube
- She’s a woman. Women have a hormone called estrogen. Estrogen levels fluctuate and at any time during her menstrual cycle, while taking birth control, when pregnant, when lactating, or before, during or after menopause, she could experience a marked decrease in natural lube.
- She has a runny nose. Yup, antihistamines and decongestants taken for allergies or a cold dry up mucus EVERYWHERE.
- She wants to have anal sex. Your backdoor doesn’t produce lubrication. If you want to try it, you need lube.
- She wants to have sex in the water. Your natural lubrication is water-based and will wash away in water. You wanna have sex in the hot tub, shower, pool, ocean, etc, you need a waterproof silicone lube.
- She’s having trouble becoming aroused due to stress, lack of sleep, antidepressants, sexual trauma, etc. No arousal, no natural lube. Adding a little slippery can make all the touching more pleasurable, up pleasure, up arousal, up natural lubricant production. Win, win, win, win.
- He’s really big and/or she’s small. Or she hasn’t had sex in a long time (or ever). Or he’s a super pumper that goes all night long. Again, grease the piston to make the engine last. Wetter = better. Things slip in and out of tight spaces better with a little extra help.
- She’s using condoms. See above. Don’t want that puppy to break. Up the lube to cut down on the friction and reduce the chances of breakage.
- She wants to taste something other than natural penis flavor or her own coochy when the kisses come back around to her. Seriously, oral sex is fun. It’s even funner if it tastes like hot buttered rum.
- She becomes prone to infections. Wanna help cut down on yeast infections and other beasties? Increase your lubrication. It acts as a barrier between you and the invading penis/fingers/toy that could upset vaginal pH and/or cause small tears allowing bacteria in. It may also reduce your chances of contracting an STI.
- She wants to have better sex. 80% of women said they found sex substantially more enjoyable with a lubricant. What more argument do you need?
Let’s cut the lube stigma and enjoy our lubes! Do you use a lube? #tweetyourlube to me at @agentromance